Today I made my first purchase that made me cry....shopping NEVER makes me cry, but today it did.
We left Devon at 6.30am this morning to return home to normality after the most wonderful summer spent in Devon. I hadn't even unpacked the bags and put the washing in before 'Big Shrimp' and I went off on our 'mummy and daughter' morning that I'd promised her, to Bath, to purchase her first pair of 'big' school shoes for when she starts next Monday.
Now, starting to panic is maybe a slight understatement....... When you're living in the heart of the South Hams believe me there isn't much choice when it comes to buying school shoes so we made a special trip to Plymouth last week, as it was a rainy day, to go and see if we could find any. Unfortunately the rest of Devon and Cornwall had the same idea and no shoes could be found in an 8.5F ANYWHERE!!!!!
Luckily we had a little more luck in Bath. We thought we'd start at a lovely little shop called; 'One Small Step' where we have previously bought all of the girls shoes and hey presto.... the shop was quiet (not what I was expecting), during what the shoe shops say is one of the busiest days of the year! However leaving it so late there was very little choice left. All the lovely old fashioned styles had gone in her size, but we did manage some very plain black shoes that fitted her perfectly.
We thought we'd pop into Clarks for some winter boots but OM'IGOD..... It was HEAVING....we had certainly made the right choice!!!
After a lovely lunch together we made our way home with me feeling so sad that it would be one of the last trips we'd make together apart from holidays and weekends when, more likely than not, little shrimp would be with us.
Sweetheart, I've treasured each and every little trip we've made together; our little lunches together, trips into Frome to mooch on Catherine Hill in all the vintage shops, our visits to art galleries, girlie days spent together at the Country House Hotel & Spa we belong to....It all went far to quickly and now it's over I'd give anything to have it back. Thank you for a delightful summer in Devon helping mummy look after little sister. We had a lovely time together didn't we? and mummy was so proud at how fantastic you are at body boarding now. I love how you're growing up as an outdoors girl. I hope that you've enjoyed your early childhood darling and I've made it fun for you. Next week is a brand new chapter in your life, one which I'm sure you'll enjoy just as much...even if mummy is finding it a little difficult to let you go........


