Monday, 7 September 2009

First Day.

Last night, as I do every night, I crept into big shrimps room to watch her sleep and to give her a final kiss goodnight before going to bed myself. Last night though, I couldn't help myself. I climbed in next to my teeny tiny little girl who looked so incredibly young and innocent still as she lay clutching the three Dalmatian dogs that she'd bought with her birthday money, and I snuggled up with her and held her tight...listening to her little breaths as she submerged herself in dreamland unaware that the very next morning she was to enter the next chapter of her life!

I quietly left her room, climbed into bed and sobbed and sobbed!! Not just a little cry but proper sobs coming from deep within, It took me a little by surprise. I have been dreading letting her go, not being her 'whole wide world' anymore, but I didn't realise that I would be this upset. I guess I just needed to get it all out of my system. I thought this morning that maybe all the tears were over and done with, but oh no...........who was the only mother that welled up in the classroom this morning and had to leave before I made a total show of myself.......yep...that's right, yours truly! I'm guessing this gets easier as the days go on, yes?

Big Shrimp was fine, as expected. She was just excited about wearing her new uniform and seeing all her friends again because horrible old mummy had made her spend the summer in Devon, so she hadn't seen any of them since July. She was so eager to get there she skipped along holding Daddy's hand. I think even Daddy was a little sad to let her little hand go as she entered the classroom for the first time.

I even managed to get this sneaky shot of her first few moments of school. I have no worries about her. She's more than ready having missed starting school by 2 days last year, she's very keen to learn. Even her new teacher (who had spent time with her previously last term), said that she thinks that she'll be the model student...... there you go Shrimp, that's something to live up to!!! No pressure there then!

Mr Shrimp had me in stitches last night when he said that he'd spent a great deal of time yesterday thinking about how we are now responsible for her educational development.... He then went on to say how he thinks he should start to brush up on his long division and fractions...I pointed out to him that she was only in reception class and I think he had a while before he need worry about that!! He then asked how my times tables were.....when I rattled off my 9 times table in a fashion that resembled an auctioneer at a cattle market, he decided that he would be responsible for teaching 1 - 6 and I would be responsible for teaching 6 -12!!!!! As he has it so easy, he can take on the fractions and long division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!