Monday, 6 July 2009

Sunday, Sunday......

North, South, East or West? Sunday morning's always pose the same question.....Which beach shall we visit today? Sunday has now become 'Beach Day'. Everyone knows where they stand, with me getting the beach bag together, packing into it 2 changes of swimming costumes, beach dresses, beach ball, towells, sun lotion etc, etc. Mr SB is in charge of the picnic lunch and the little shrimps, well they're in charge of buckets and spades.

This Sunday was no different but I did have somewhere in mind courtesy of my monthly Red magazine landing on the doormat Friday morning. If you have seen this months issue, flicking through you may have noticed this page;


Stunning isn't it? We have passed the signs to Prawle Point many times but as yet hadn't yet visited. After seeing this though, we just had to take a peek as it is only 5 miles (as the crow flies) from our home.

Now, just a word of warning for those of you that think it may be worth a visit at some stage. Before setting off you need to ask yourself ;
a) Do I mind driving down the narrowest lanes ever to reach it? So narrow in fact that you'll have to put your wing mirrors in to make it down the lanes.
b) Do I mind a few little scratches on my paint work from brambles etc, in order to get there?
c) Am I good at reversing, sometimes up to 400 yards to the next passing place when meeting an on coming vehicle? and even then having to often drive down ditches and only have millimetres to spare in order to pass the vehicle.

Now for Mr SB, thankfully he can answer no to all of the above, but for me, I would be hyper-ventilating if I had to put point C into effect if driving on my own with the girls. Therefore Prawle Point/Lannacombe Bay etc will be saved purely for Daddy visits at weekends during the summer holidays.

We made it though and eventually reached the little National Trust car park.......

.........climbed over the style and was greeted by a beautiful sight. Stunning coastal paths and a glistening sea.

Now at this stage we came up against an 'obstacle'...well for little shrimp it was as stressful as her journey down the birth canal 3 years ago.....Now what could this be you may be thinking? what could make a 3 year old little girl so distressed that she was screaming so loud they could hear hear in Cornwall? I shall tell you..... SHEEP POO........ Oh my goodness, stressed isn't the word. She was so obsessed with not getting any on her favourite spotty flip flops that she couldn't even walk for screaming.


Because of this terrible experience we, her cruel, cruel parents had put her through, we had to turn back before we found the cove, but even the little we saw of Prawle Point was worth the drive.

Then onto Lannacombe, stunning little cove, not frequented by many due to even narrower lanes, very limited parking and no facilities, but simply beautiful. Now the way the morning was going, I could have told you that when we'd made it there, there would be no parking left...I was right....Oh well, beautiful anyway...maybe another day when we can arrive a little earlier.

The girls by this stage were getting really annoyed with us that we'd been in the car so long and they still hadn't run on the beach. We decided to head home and back to Thurlestone. Because it was a windy day, it was busy with kite surfers, lovely to watch. Also divers were about exploring the ocean bed and the recent rain storms had washed up a little seaweed for the girls to play with.

Did I say; 'little'?

Of course when I unpacked our picnic the heavens opened, so we headed home a little sooner than expected but at least we felt the sand between our toes and the sea lapping at our feet, so not a bad Sunday all in all...................