Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Bigbury on Sea....

What is it about beaches in the Autumn/Winter? There is something so magical about dressing up in hats and scarves and blowing the cobwebs away. Of course the fact that I prefer beaches in the Winter has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I can hide beneath layer upon layer and not have to expose an inch of flesh ..........

Blimey, look at me here with the shrimps on Sunday, I'm almost in disguise! Apart from one nose, two hands and a few double chins the rest of me was firmly hidden away so not to scare anyone out for their Sunday morning stroll!!!, ! Just how I like it, In fact if it wasn't for the fact that salt water plays havoc with my hair (sweetie), then I'd be more than happy to let the shrimps pile me high with seaweed and fade quietly into the background of rock pools.

The location for our walk along the beach last weekend was Bigbury-on-Sea. The Island is home to the magnificent Burgh Island art deco hotel built in 1929 and extended in the 1930's. The hotel is truly stunning with beautifully decorated rooms such as these....

Isn't it beautiful? No wonder Agatha Christie used Burgh Island and its hotel as an inspirational setting for; And then there were none, as well as the Hercule Poirot mystery; Evil under the sun.

If you haven't been here before you must visit if you get the chance...when the tide is out you are able to walk across to Burgh Island and explore. When it's in, you can take this wonderful sea tractor; a monster isn't it?

The Pilchard Inn is a sweet little Inn dating back to 1336. In the summer it's one of those places that you have to get across to by about 10.30 in the morning to get an outside table for lunch!!! Once you secure your table next to the sea, you don't dare move from it as before you have so much have lifted one buttock from the bench you are sat on, you will have a family of 4 almost sat on your lap and ordering off the menu...this of course the same family that have been hovering around your table since 10.32am when you were just settling down to order a morning coffee. The other way of securing yourself a table, is to visit in October, like ourselves, when rain is forecast and the idea of sitting out in the open air isn't quite as appealing!

Obviously since I'd dressed our family up in clothes not unfamiliar to those worn during an Arctic expedition, I felt quite happy that we could enjoy the beach without moaning little girls wanting to go back to the car as they were too cold!

I think I may have slightly overdone the whole 'Big Shrimp has just had swine flu lets make sure they're both warm and covered' thing when they started to drip with sweat in front of my very eyes and light up the beach with there Rosy glows....

I love snapping away at the girls as they play on the beach (you may have noticed!!!)...Come on big shrimp, give us your best Pamela Anderson Baywatch pose......

Of course we're the Williams sisters.......

Proud mummy moment as little shrimp writes her name for the first time; so inconsiderate writing it on sand...how on earth am I meant to put that in the scrapbook?.......

Time to leave, peel of the numerous layers of clothes that of course became soaked through by the end of our walk and head back for lunch and a nice warm bath before heading home with our heads full of weekend memories, that is until we go about creating new ones all over again tomorrow.